More Than 20 Years Of Experience Standing Up For Minnesota Workers

What doctor should I talk to about a work injury in Minnesota?

On Behalf of | May 13, 2022 | Workers' Compensation |

The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry reports that over 4% of workers experienced an injury on the job in 2019.

If you get injured at work, you should see a doctor immediately. Prompt medical treatment is essential for filing a workers’ compensation claim. Knowing which doctors can help with your work injuries makes it easier to find care quickly.

Emergency Room doctors

You can go to the emergency room for care with a severe or life-threatening injury. The National Council on Compensation Insurance reports that 25% of injured employees go to the ER first.  Not only are these doctors able to treat all types of injuries, but they can also begin the documentation for your workers’ compensation insurance claim.

Family doctors

If you do not have an acute injury, you can make an appointment with your primary doctor. Many people trust a doctor with whom they have a history. Fortunately, Minnesota workers’ compensation laws allow you to see a physician of your choice in most cases. Restrictions can apply if you have a managed care health plan or collective bargaining agreement.


Depending on the nature of your injury, you may need to see a specialist after your initial treatment. If a doctor determines you should visit a chiropractor, surgeon, psychologist or another specialist, you decide which doctor to see. Your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance covers these visits with an approved claim.

Getting injured on the job could require long-term medical care. Minnesota state laws allow you to visit a doctor of your choice when you file for workers’ compensation.