Law Office of Gretchen Hall
Law Office of Gretchen Hall

Workers’ Compensation FAQ

  1. Home
  2.  » Workers’ Compensation FAQ

Workers’ Compensation FAQ

Below you will find some of our clients’ most frequently asked questions about workers’ compensation claims.

What Is The Statute Of Limitations For Filing A Workers’ Compensation Claim?

Under Minnesota law, you have six years from the time of injury to file a workers’ compensation claim. If a First Report of Injury was filed with the Department of Labor and Industry, you have only three years from the time of injury to file a claim.

Who Is Eligible To Receive Benefits?

Minnesota law requires that all companies provide workers’ compensation benefits for full-time and part-time employees. Benefits are required regardless of fault. Minors and non-U.S. citizens are also eligible for benefits.

What If My Claim Was Denied?

If you were previously denied workers’ compensation benefits or have trouble collecting benefits that you are entitled to, call The Law Office of Gretchen Hall at 651-964-6106.

What Does My Employer Owe Me?

All employers are required to have workers’ compensation insurance in the event of an employee injury. Once you notify your employer of an injury, they must file your claim with the insurance company. When your employer completes and provides you a copy of the First Report of Injury form, they are required to also provide an employee information sheet. The information sheet informs you of your workers’ compensation rights under Minnesota law.

The insurance company, and not your employer, determines your benefits. Your employer owes you fair treatment throughout the claim process and may not retaliate against you due to a workplace injury.

What Does Workplace Retaliation Look Like?

Unfortunately, some Minnesota and Wisconsin employers may retaliate against employees who pursue workers’ comp benefits. Retaliation can take many forms, but all forms of retaliation are prohibited by law.

Workplace retaliation can take many forms, but several of the most common methods include wrongful termination, demotion, failure to promote, salary reduction and harassment. If you experience workplace retaliation, you can file a civil suit against your employer.

If You’ve Been Injured At Work, Contact Us Today To Have Your Case Evaluated

If you were injured at work, denied workers’ compensation or cannot obtain awarded benefits, it is time to turn to an attorney for help. Please call our St. Paul offices at 651-964-6106 to schedule a free case evaluation. You may also contact The Law Office of Gretchen Hall online. Attorney Gretchen Hall will carefully evaluate your case and answer your workers’ compensation questions.