Any time you find yourself on a roof, there's nothing more important than your safety. Even if you have many years of roofing experience, you must always follow a variety of safety tips to avoid a serious accident and injuries.
Here are five roofing safety tips to follow at all times:
- Don't work alone: If possible, work with at least one other person, as there is someone to help you in the event of an emergency.
- Carefully place your ladder: Proper ladder use is a must, as a simple mistake, such as placing it on uneven ground, can cause an accident.
- Wear a safety harness: It may sound like overkill, but it's the best way to protect yourself should you slip.
- Wear the right shoes or boots: For example, good traction is a must, as it reduces the likelihood of slipping.
- Keep an eye on the sky: Bad weather is extremely dangerous when working on a roof. If you see rain moving in or the wind is picking up, stop what you're doing and move to safety.
Even if you follow these roofing safety tips, you could still be injured in an accident.
If this happens, call 911 and administer first aid while you wait for an ambulance to arrive. You can then rely on the paramedics to treat your injuries and transport you to a local hospital.
Once you better understand your injuries and have a treatment plan in place, report the accident to your employer and learn more about your legal rights. This may be the right time to file a workers' compensation claim.