If you work in the construction industry, you’re likely to use a variety of tools throughout your day. While these are meant to make your life easier, they also increase the likelihood of an accident and injury.
Here are five tools that can cause serious injury or death:
- Chop saw: Often used by construction and industrial workers, this type of saw is designed to cut steel in a quick and efficient manner. However, due to the power and speed of the blade, any mistake can be costly.
- Angle grinder: From stripping paint to grinding metal, this tool has many uses. However, just the same as a saw, one slip-up can cause an accident.
- Nailer: Rather than use a hammer and nail, a nailer allows you to move at a faster pace. However, since nails fire on contact with extreme power, you must be careful.
- Snowblower: These tools appear harmless, until you realize that the moving blades are quite sharp. Furthermore, they’re not always easy to see, especially when covered in snow.
- Riding mower: From tipping over to striking another worker, many types of accidents can result from the use of a riding mower on a job site.
You shouldn’t keep away from these tools and others because of a fear of injury. However, you must keep your safety and well-being in mind at all times.
If you suffer an on the job injury, such as at the hands of a power tool, stop what you’re doing to receive treatment. From there, if you’re unable to return to work, you may have the legal right to file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits.