What are the signs you have a sick building illness?

Not all Minnesota buildings are safe for their workers. Some are filled with mold and other contaminants that lead to a host of physical ailments and other problems.

Certain illness symptoms can indicate that the building you're working in is a "sick building." Be sure to watch out for these symptoms, and if you suspect you're working in a sick building, reach out to management as soon as possible.

Is my building sick?

Sick building syndrome (SBS) might happen in buildings where numerous workers complain of similar health problems. In some cases, these health problems are acute, chronic and debilitating. It doesn't matter if your building is old or new; up to 30 percent of buildings throughout the world exhibit the signs of indoor air quality (IAQ) issues.

If you or your co-workers are showing signs and symptoms like these, you might be working in a sick building:

  • You or your coworkers are uncomfortable at work with nose, eye and throat irritations. You might have a dry cough, itchy skin, headache, fatigue or a sensitivity of smells.
  • Nobody knows why they're suffering from mysterious symptoms.
  • Most people feel better as soon as they exit the office. In some cases, it could take a long time before the occupant experiences relief.
  • You or your coworkers suffer from fever, chest tightness, chills, muscle pains and other symptoms at work.
  • The symptoms may be diagnosable but the cause remains a mystery.

The above signs and symptoms of sick building syndrome should prompt workers to seek medical advice from a certified doctor. When going to the doctor, be sure to tell your medical provider that you're concerned your symptoms may be the result of your workplace.

Sick building syndrome could give rise to a workers' compensation claim

Going to the doctor is expensive, and your work-caused illness could also render you unable to work -- which would lead to lost income. In some cases, workers' suffering from a building-caused illness will be able to successfully file for workers' compensation to receive financial assistance to pay for medical care and lost income.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Are you having trouble collecting benefits?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Law Office of Gretchen Hall 4527 Allendale Drive St. Paul, MN 55127 Toll Free: 855-4HALL-LAW Phone: 651-964-6106 Fax: (651) 426-2567 St. Paul Law Office Map